Michael Pitt is a Founding Member of Pitt McGehee Palmer & Rivers
Michael has handled complex employment litigation including nationwide class actions, group actions and multiple party cases on behalf of employees from the lowest to highest levels of many of the largest companies in the United States. He received his Bachelor's Degree from Michigan State University in 1971 and his Juris Doctor from Wayne State Law School in 1974. Since 1980, Michael has specialized in employment law and civil rights litigation on behalf of employees. He also serves as a court-appointed mediator of employment disputes and has been frequently selected as an arbitrator.
Michael’s recent work on the Neal Case as part of a team of civil rights lawyers has garnered him wide acclaim and recognition. In this case, eighteen women prisoners were raped and sexually assaulted by prison guards in Michigan’s prisons, and through Michael’s hard work, a damage verdict was won in favor of the women prisoners. As a result of this case, Michael and the team received recognition from the Trial Lawyers for the Public as the 2008 Trial Lawyer of the Year, recognition from the National Lawyers Guild as the 2008 People’s Lawyer of the Year and in February 2009, the team also received the Wade McCree Award from the Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan. The Department of Corrections settled the matter after two jury trials generated more than $30 million in damages for 18 women. The Department agreed in July 2009 to pay more than 400 women $100 million in resolution of all claims of rape and sexual assault.
In 2004 and 2005, Michael was elected President of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association. In 2003, he was inducted as a Fellow into the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He is President-Elect of Public Justice, the nation’s largest public interest law firm. He has presented more than 80 papers at seminars across the country sponsored by ATLA, NELA, MTLA, ICLE of Michigan and other organizations.
In 2015 he was presented with the “Champion of Justice Award” by the State Bar of Michigan. In 2017, he was presented with the “Distinguished Service Award” by the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Michigan. He has been listed as a Best Layer in America every year since 1989. He has been named Top 100 Super Lawyers from 2013 through 2016.
Most recently, Michael was appointed by Judge Judith Levy of the Eastern District Court of Michigan as Interim Co-Lead of the Consolidated Class Actions in the Flint Water Crisis Cases. As Co-Lead, Michael and a team of 15 attorneys will pursue complex and high stakes litigation on behalf of tens of thousands of injured Flint citizens against elected government officials and private contractors responsible for contaminating the drinking water for the entire City of Flint.
Michael and his wife, Peggy Goldberg Pitt, are avid bicycle riders, travelers and doting grandparents. They are very proud of their son, Jared, a California attorney and father of two boys, and their daughter, Meagan, a Colorado attorney and the mother of two daughters.
Read Articles Michael has been Cited in: Click Here
- Michael Pitt Cited in Michigan Radio/NPR Coverage of Court of Appeals Ruling
- Michael Pitt was cited in a Feb. 4, 2018 Detroit Free Press/Legal Doctrine of Governmental Immunity in Civil Proceedings
- Michael Pitt was cited in Metro Times coverage examining former Gov. Engler's response to widespread sexual abuse of female prisoners by male guards in Michigan prisons
- Michael Pitt was cited in a Detroit Free Press feature story examining age discrimination in the workplace
- Legal News reported Michael Pitt's selection as MAJ's Champion of Justice
- The Oakland Press has published a story on Mike Pitt's selection as MAJ's 2018 Champion of Justice
- M. Pitt & R. Wagner were cited by MLive in its coverage of two complaints the firm has filed in Genesee County Circuit Court
- Michael Pitt was cited by Michigan Radio/NPR in a news report on the upcoming July 11 U.S. District Court hearing on Flint Water Crisis-related class action lawsuits
- Mike Pitt was cited by Detroit News in its coverage of July 11 hearing on Flint water crisis-related class action lawsuits
- Michael Pitt was quoted in MLive coverage of July 11 hearing on Flint water crisis-related class actions
- Mike Pitt was interviewed by WJRT/ABC 12/Flint in two linked segments reporting on the July 11 Ann Arbor hearing regarding Flint Water Crisis-related class action lawsuits
- Michael Pitt was cited in Michigan Radio/NPR coverage of July 11 hearing on Flint class actions
- Michael Pitt was interviewed on July 19, 2018 by Cynthia Canty on Michigan Radio's Stateside program regarding the firm's representation of Nassar victims, details relating to the Nassar Victim Fund(s) and new state laws reviving time-barred civil claims
- Michael Pitt was quoted in a Legal News story on the firm's new Nassar cases and approaching deadline for making related claims
- Ted Leopold and Mike Pitt were cited in the National Law Journal's coverage of federal court decision in Flint class action
- Mike Pitt was cited in a Detroit News story on the Flint Class Action ruling
- Mike Pitt and Ted Leopold were quoted in WLUC/NBC/Upper Michigan's coverage of the federal court ruling in the Flint Class Action
- Michael Pitt and Ted Leopold were cited by Michigan Radio/NPR in its story on Judge Levy's ruling in the Flint class action
- M. Pitt was cited by MLive in its coverage of August 1 U.S. District Court ruling on Flint class action
- Michael Pitt discusses his social justice background and motivation in an announcement posted by Public Justice on his selection as its president for a one-year term
- The Oakland Press reported on Mike Pitt's selection to Wayne Law's Alumni Wall of Fame
- M. Pitt was cited in MLive coverage of Genessee County court proceedings involving firm clients severely injured as bystanders in auto accidents related to dangerous, high-speed vehicle pursuits initiated by Michigan State Police officers
- Mike Pitt was quoted in Michigan Radio/NPR coverage of favorable ruling in Genesee County Michigan State Police high-speed pursuit case
- Mike Pitt was quoted in a Nov. 13, 2018 Bridge story on the post-election composition of the Michigan Supreme Court
- Michael Pitt was cited in MiTechNews.com coverage of last week's federal court ruling in Flint Water Class Action
- Michael Pitt was quoted by The Guardian in coverage of the newly-elected administration's possible response to the Flint Water Crisis
- Michael Pitt was cited in Detroit Free Press coverage of firm client Ed Bourassa, treasurer for the City of Taylor, and his fight to retain his elected position
- Michael Pitt was quoted in a story about Taylor Treasurer Ed Bourassa and related lawsuit against the City of Taylor
- Michael Pitt was cited in an article published by Gongwer News Service on the UIA's refund process
- Michael Pitt was cited by the News -Herald in its coverage of the Taylor City Council meeting regarding the position of city Treasurer Ed Bourassa
- Michael Pitt was cited by Detroit Free Press in its coverage of Ed Bourassa's hearing in front of the Taylor City Council