Filing a Wage and Hour Claim Made Easy

Federal law orders employers to pay minimum wage, plus time and a half for work done past 40 hours, according to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

The 21st century has rife with claims of unpaid wages. In 2018, the Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the Department of Labor took on close to 20,000 cases that lead to the recovery of over $300 million in lost wages.

Has an employer denied your regular or overtime pay? There could be legal ways for you to recover the amount your employer owes you.

Should you File a Wage and Hour Claim?

Do you believe you have not received the right wages or hours for work you completed? You may have a case.

Some employers underpay workers by not paying them the required minimum wage. As of March 2019, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 and has been since 2009. In Michigan, the minimum wage will stand at $9.45 by the end of this month. So, Michigan employers must pay  $9.45 per hour for most work.

Overtime is another area where employees lose wages. Overtime paid at a standard rate or avoided in total is a violation that you can pursue.

How to File a Complaint

You can file a complaint in person or by mail with the WHD of the Department of Labor. Make sure to include this information in your claim:

  • The employee's personal information, such as name and address
  • The employer or business’s name, location, and industry
  • Your job title and description of your work
  • All relevant payment information
  • Define the alleged violations
  • Note the dates of the violations

The WHD will follow up on the complaint by starting an investigation. Representatives may contact you for more information if necessary.

Employees have protections against an employer firing or discrimination against them. For added security, complaints remain confidential.

A third party, such as a legal service, can also file complaints on behalf of the aggrieved individual.

Limitations for Claims

Move forward with your case quickly to strengthen it. According to the FLSA, the statute of limitations is two years (three years for some cases). This limitation means that from the date of filing, you may only seek compensation for wages you earned within two years.

The legal team at Pitt, McGehee, Palmer, & Rivers has experience with several types of discrimination and civil rights cases. We work to ensure all employees have fair treatment or just compensation. Our legal experts can help you work through the state and federal labor laws to get what you deserve. Call the attorneys at Pitt, McGehee, Palmer, & Rivers at (248) 398-9800.

Is Telecommuting or Remote Work Covered Under ADA?

Work, tools, equipment, and buildings should be available and accessible to everyone.  This idea is not new, in fact, it is the law. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) calls for measures to be taken by businesses to provide reasonable...

Know Your Rights When You Go to Protest in Michigan

Challenging a rule or a law is important. It is through questioning authority that individuals ensure the laws or rules are just. Citizens in the U.S. elect officials to represent their views and opinions by enacting laws that will support and...

Top Mistakes with a Non-Compete Agreement

One way to succeed in business comes by making yourself indispensable. This approach is great for job security and for getting you the best possible work environment including compensation and benefits. However, business owners react to employing...

Know the Main Employment Types to Stay Protected

In today’s complex business world, there are many classifications of employment status. Employers use different options for their workforce to employ the right person for the right job at the right time for the right extent of time....

What Every Employee Needs to Know About FMLA

The federal mandate, known as the Family and Medical Leave Act, or FMLA, helps bridge workers’ employment and health needs for the individual and their family. Lawmakers designed this legislation to require employers to allow their employees...

5 Ways to Challenge Your Non-Compete Agreement

Starting a new job is an exciting time full of new opportunities for growth and learning. The challenges that come with learning a new set of processes and approaches help an individual to become more agile and capable of new skills. However,...

Steps to Recover Unpaid Wages and Hours

  Working should give one a sense of accomplishment and build professional abilities. However, a job should also provide an income. When employers fail to provide wages at the previously agreed upon rate, employees have been left without...
Page: 12 - All